The goal of every grant manager is to secure, implement, manage, report and successfully complete a federal grant project without any compliance issues. In 2014, when the Federal Government “doubled-down” on federal grant compliance requirements with the Digital Accountability & Transparency Act (DATA Act) and the release of new Uniform Grant Guidance (OMB-UGG), uncertainty left Tribes and states and local governments (SLGs) wondering how the changes would impact their administrative burden, overworked staff, and dwindling budgets.
More regulation, new unfunded mandates and an increase in grant oversight by Federal officials are here to stay. As compliance requirements rain down on SLGs and Tribes, they will most certainly consume several hundred million dollars in local resources adjusting and responding to these requirements.
However, SLGs and Tribes have time to successfully overcome any serious challenges because implementation of the DATA Act will be phased-in slowly over the next five years.
So without further ado, here are our top five recommendations to help SLGs and Tribes be successful:
- Reduce administrative compliance costs: Focus on innovative, systemic, government-wide solutions. The most feasible solution is to combine all grant and contract management processes and compliance requirements in a single, efficient and flexible platform to track, report and administer costs.
- For state and local agencies that deliver federal grant funds, develop and implement uniform information management processes ensuring close alignment to the DATA Act.
- Invest in infrastructure, applications and vendor management that will standardize and simplify reporting across and within state and local government agencies. While compliance costs may increase in the near-term, having multiple agencies tasked with the same initiative will significantly reduce costs in the long-term.
- Create a well-designed readiness plan: Provide step-by-step guidelines for successfully implementing new grants management policies, with CIOs and CFOs working in unison to facilitate the transition.
- Invest your limited resources in a scale-able CRM business application: Look for a system that offers rapid adoption by end-users, provides an intelligent and intuitive workflow engine for automating business processes, and seamlessly integrates with other applications and environments to ensure a long-term growth path and scale-able enterprise architecture.
To comply with the new federal compliance mandates, all SLGs and Tribes must redesign and fully-fund new system-wide grant and contract administrative processes. This means that grantees on the front-lines delivering citizen services will have to re-tool IT systems and retrain thousands of grant and program administrators.
GrantVantage is the first cloud-based solution of its kind to address the entire grant life-cycle needs of governments, Tribes, foundations, intermediaries, educational institutions, and nonprofit organizations.